Skin created by Kman. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

Create a free forum in seconds.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Honorable Hogwarts. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (5) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Storm Front, <Erastes, Duo, Reyanna>
Erastes Blake
Posted: Mar 10 2011, 12:42 AM

Vampire WIA Operative

Group: Admin
Member No.: 360

Erastes glanced impatiently at his watch. Eleven thirty...the others shouldn't be far away by now. At least one - possibly more - Department of Mysteries personnel were en route to New Oldtown at this point, with the apparent intention of contacting Jason Frost. Given that Jason was currently embroiled in his infiltration of the Brotherhood of the Light, however, that left either Blake or Kalia St. Claire to serve as the visiting operatives' point of contact. Blake was willing enough to deal with that task, though in hindsight maybe the Unfriendly Possum was not the best of meeting places. It reminded Erastes far too much of the Hog's Head back in England, a bar which often played host to some dangerous clientele. At least the Possum served blood, and was probably a better meeting place than anywhere in El Rey.

The vampire went through the recent events in El Rey over in his head, for what felt like the twentieth time. He hadn't been ready to see Katie Bell again, he was certain of that much. She hadn't been in the Ministry for long at the time of her death, but losing her had still been a blow. Of course, had she not turned up, Blake would have been at a loss as to how to deal with the vengeful spirit of Evan Rosier. Her explanation of the Ju-On curse and what it was doing to ghosts across the world was hardly comforting, but Blake felt better having at least a clue as to what was going on. He needed to track down a woman by the name of Sakiko Kanazawa...apparently she was somehow the key to stopping it all. In the meanwhile, however, he couldn't help but think the knock-on effects were going to be seriously bad news. The Ju-On curse was changing the very nature of the ghosts that it affected, giving them the power to interact with the physical world in ways that they should not be able to. No spell could just re-write the metaphysical rules of an entire supernatural species without having a serious impact on the rest of reality, and that impact was being felt.

Since the encounter with the ghosts of Evan Rosier and Katie Bell three nights ago, constant thunderstorms had occupied the skies above New Oldtown. There was a palpable tension in the night air, a feeling like the deep breath before a dive into icy waters. Erastes finished his drink and got to his feet...he felt restless here, and needed to stretch his legs. Leaving his empty glass on the bar, he strode outside and began to circle the building, lighting up a cigarette as he went. Making his way around the back of the Possum, he was somewhat glad for the bittersweet smell of tobacco smoke blocking out the reek of stale beer and rubbish from the bins. He took a few more steps, and realised that there was a far worse smell emanating from the area than he would have expected. The vampire stopped in his tracks...there really was an interminable stench in the air, a smell like weeks-old rotting meat and feces. Where the hell was it coming from? Moments later his question was answered, and he wished he'd never left the bar.

user posted image

The thing that came stalking out of the shadows was unnatural beyond words...a nine-foot tall monstrosity of muscle and sinew, its hulking body covered in a network of eyes that crackled with arcs of barely-contained Dark magic. No earthly creature looked even remotely like that; Blake was certain that this was a Hellspawn, a demon from another realm. His analytical mind raced, weighing up his own skills and the advantages of the local terrain against the power this thing was likely to possess. It took him a scant couple of seconds to decide that a straight fight would be nothing short of suicide. Whatever this thing was, it had either been summoned by an extremely skilled Dark wizard, or it had slipped through the cracks in reality that the Ju-On curse was no doubt creating. Erastes was certain that the only wizard around here with that kind of power was Noah Howerton, and summoning demons was never going to be that old bastard's style so long as he had his Christian image to uphold. But if this monster had made it through to Earth on its own power and was managing to maintain a physical form without the aid of a wizard, then Blake had no doubt at all that it was a seriously deadly opponent. Without another second's hesitation, he fled.

The back door of the Unfriendly Possum was smashed from its hinges as Blake charged inside, the bloodthirsty demon chasing after him. He didn't waste time throwing a reparing charm at the door; the Hellspawn could have torn through the wall without effort, and at least this way Erastes had a better guess as to where it was coming from. The back doorway led into the gaming room, and a couple of tables were currently occupied by people engrossed in games of Texas Hold 'Em. The vampire leaped over the tables with animalistic grace, drawing his wand and firing a few curses back over his shoulder to make sure the demon kept its attentions on him rather than stopping to tear apart the Possum's customers. The door through to the main bar was blown to splinters by a Blasting Curse, and the whole building came alive with terrified screams as the massive Hellspawn came barrelling into view. Once again, Erastes shot a handful of curses at the demon; Sectumsempra barely scratched its supernatural hide, and Petrificus Totallus didn't even slow it down for a second. A desperate Avada Kedavra - a spell that Blake hated performing - caused the monster to stumble for maybe a moment or two. Confident that he had managed only to piss it off, the vampire smashed through the front door and out into the street. He turned to face his oncoming opponent, using precious few seconds to formulate a strategy.

Staring at the approaching demon, Blake tried a reckless gambit. In his latter years at Hogwarts he had proven to be talented in legilimency, and his work with the WIA had only further compounded that. He had once read that a demon's true name had power over it, and could be used to control it if applied properly. It was for this reason that most sentient demons used aliases in earthly languages, but anyone with the skill and determination to peer into a demon's mind might just be able to get a glimpse of it's real name. Focusing his energies, Erastes tried just that...his mind reached out and clashed against that of the Hellspawn, and found that striking against its mental barrier was like running into a spiked wall. Agonising pain erupted in Blake's mind, like hot pokers in the backs of his eyes. He forced himself to continue, to push through the demon's natural defences, scrambling through its bloodthirsty thoughts for any indication of the name which defined it. Erastes felt his own blood running from his nose, and realised that the psychic backlash was making his brain haemorrhage badly. Once again he found himself thankful that he was already clinically dead. Through the haze of agony he saw it, that chain of syllables which could hold the monster at bay. Kal-Zhazzak...or at least, that was the closest translation an earthly tongue could pronounce. He hoped like hell that it would be enough.

"Kal-Zhazzak. Kal-Zhazzak. Get away from me! You are not welcome here, demon!"

To Blake's surprise, the monster actually stopped in its tracks, as if confined by an invisible barrier. He had only exercised very rudimentary ccontrol over it; he had at best twenty seconds before its will proved sufficient to overpower his. But it was enough time for what he had planned. There was power in storms, for those reckless enough to tap it. Up above in those clouds a millennia-old elemental dance was playing out, air and water clashing, sparking fire in the form of electricity. Erastes raised his left hand, fingers stretching towards the sky. His right hand held his wand, which now pointed straight at the Hellspawn. He bared his fangs in a snarl, focusing his will, drawing the fury of the storm into himself and combining it with his own magic. A bolt of lightning arced down from above and struck him, electricity surging through undead flesh. It took all his mental strength to harness that energy, to give it shape, and form and direction, before unleashing it...to wreak havoc on flesh far tougher than his own.

The demon broke through Blake's meagre control and leaped forward just as the lightning bolt erupted from the vampire's wand, striking the creature in centre mass. Within the demon's veins, blood boiled. Muscle fibres superheated and unravelled, and internal organs literally exploded as the electricity ravaged its body. A blackened, tangled mess of bones and sinews was all that was left of the Hellspawn as it hit the ground. For a moment Erastes thought he glimpsed the creature's spirit, ruined and impotent as it was drawn back into whatever hellish realm had birthed it. At that point the effort of his last spell caught up with him, and Blake fell to his knees, exhausted.

"I...I think I need a drink..."

--------------------
Character Map

user posted image

The word is about, there's something evolving
Whatever may come, the world keeps revolving
They say the next big thing is here
That the revolution's near
But to me it seems quite clear
That it's all just a little bit of history repeating.
Duo Warrington
Posted: Mar 10 2011, 01:04 AM

Ministry Unspeakable

Group: Adult
Member No.: 192

As Erastes slumped down, exhausted, something stirred in the shadows of a nearby alley. Red eyes watched gleefully, then something shot forward, raising cruelly sharp claws as it closed in behind him...

"Epoxus!"

There was a yelp, followed by a curious squelching sound and lastly a thud. The minor demon that had been sneaking up on the weakened vampire, a short, gremlin-like beast that had probably ridden into town via the same portal as the bigger, nastier version, was suddenly pinned to the ground by a large ball of sticky grey resin. It howled and thrashed, but only succeeded in getting more and more stuck.

Duo walked out of the alley the imp had just charged from. "Took the words right outta my mouth, Blake," he smirked. "What the hell's goin' on in this town?"

--------------------
user posted image
Those good old boys were drinking whisky and rye
Saying "This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die..."
Erastes Blake
Posted: Mar 10 2011, 08:40 AM

Vampire WIA Operative

"Duo?"

Rasping laughter welled up from within Blake's damaged throat as he looked over his shoulder at the approaching figure. Still shaking, he pulled himself to his feet.

"Duo Warrington. Dear gods, I got a memo saying that some new people were on the way, but I didn't know they were sending you. Feels like ages since we last worked together. How's things going?"

He took an uneasy step forward, looking down at the minor demon which writhed and squirmed ineffectually in it's resinous cocoon.

"Well well. I wish I had a simple answer for what's happening. My list of issues so far includes Jason being locked in a game of intrigue with some ancient godlike Planeswalker, a religous cult out to exterminate us, ghosts going on murderous rampages, and now it looks like reality is cracking at the seams and letting monsters like these through. I have a feeling the last two problems are connected...shall we grab a few drinks and hear what information we both have? I doubt this little shit is going to answer any questions."

He pointed towards the trapped creature. Assuming it had the intellect and the ability to speak any human languages, Erastes doubted it would tell them anything. No amount of interrogation would work on extraplanar demons, because they generally were incapable of feeling actual fear. Better to get rid of it before it could cause any real trouble.

--------------------
Character Map

user posted image

Duo Warrington
Posted: Mar 10 2011, 05:08 PM

Ministry Unspeakable

"Fair to hellish, same as ever," Duo chuckled. "I dunno about y'all in MLE, but up in the DoM the job's just gotten crazier and crazier over the last year; more work, less staff." Now that he was actually out of the country, it was a lot easier to joke about the work that had been slowly crushing the life out of him. "Don't think I've worked with ya since... the Dartford banshee incident, right?"

As Jason was mentioned, he groaned. "Man, if something ever happened to Frost? The Ministry's paperwork would half overnight. Should've known he'd be involved somehow." He mused over the last few details; murderous ghosts and rampaging demons? It did seem like quite a coincidence. "Drinks sounds like a plan to me, alright."

He turned back to the imp, now just squealing and completely immobilised. Dispassionately, he fired a small blasting curse, just enough to obliterate its head. The noise stopped abruptly. Another wave of his wand, a quick vanishing charm, and there was nothing left. "C'mon, let's go man. Any preferences?"

--------------------
user posted image
Erastes Blake
Posted: Mar 10 2011, 08:06 PM

Vampire WIA Operative

"The Possum here serves stuff I can drink, and it's the sort of place where nobody's asking questions", Blake replied; "Either that or we could find somewhere out of the way over in El Rey, but I wouldn't advise it."

He led the way back inside, stepping over the shattered remains of the saloon door. As he and Duo made their way in, all eyes were focused on them...Erastes could hardly blame the other customers for their reaction, given what they had just seen. Then again, he strongly suspected that most of those present were favour-traders of the sort who made Mundungus Fletcher look like an honest upstanding citizen. His face briefly slipped into it's vampiric countenance, showing his feral eyes and razor fangs.

"You all want to go back to your drinks. Now."

No-one was prepared to argue, not after the display he had just given against the Hellspawn. For that much, Blake was thankful...if he ran into trouble in his current state he'd be relying on Duo, and he had no desire to put a colleague in the firing line. As nervous conversation started to fill the bar once again, he found an empty table for the two of them. Placing a handful of coins on the table, he motioned to Duo to go and order the first round of drinks.

"Mine's a pig's blood, plus whatever you're having."

With that, he cast a quick Muffliato to mask anything further that they. said. After everything the fight had taken out of him, it was just about the most magic he could perform at the moment.

--------------------
Character Map

user posted image

Duo Warrington
Posted: Mar 12 2011, 10:46 PM

Ministry Unspeakable

Duo barely managed not to laugh at how easily Erastes cowed the other patrons; the vampire had obviously had a lot of practice. He took the proferred money and grabbed a pigs blood for Erastes and a large bourbon for himself, then sat back down.

"Alright, I came over here with Reyana Lacy to check up on some things, hopefully piece some information together. Now it turns out there's a helluva lot more going on than we knew. So better start at the start." Duo took a sip of his drink then looked Erastes in the eye. "You hear anything about the recent happenings in France?"

--------------------
user posted image
Erastes Blake
Posted: Mar 12 2011, 10:58 PM

Vampire WIA Operative

Blake took a sip from his glass, and welcomed the feel of live-giving fluid seeping down his throat. The aching in his muscles eased ever so slightly, and he listened as Duo began to speak.

"France?" he replied, when the question came; "The Death Eaters seized control of the government there a few months back, under the orders of Rabastan LeStrange. They've since been keeping the country in a state of terror and Aldous Conor asked the Prime Minister to send in a liberation force. A joint wizard-muggle operation is underway to retake control. Obviously it's a lot messier than the newspapers are saying it is, but I'm given to understand casualties aren't vastly higher than expected. Aside from that I'm not sure what to say. Death Eater movements in France aren't my case."

--------------------
Character Map

user posted image

Duo Warrington
Posted: Mar 12 2011, 11:06 PM

Ministry Unspeakable

Duo steepled his fingers and leaned back. "Yeah, there's been a development there. The Death Eaters HQ was wrecked, and it appears that someone opened a hell-portal to do it. Huge hole in the sky, ugly flashing lights, you know the deal," he said grimly. "We think it was a Planeswalker."

--------------------
user posted image
Erastes Blake
Posted: Mar 12 2011, 11:22 PM

Vampire WIA Operative

Erastes gave a very bitter laugh.

"Another Planeswalker, eh? They're turning up all over the place. From what I've found out in operations against the Brotherhood of the Light, there's one extremely old and powerful one here in Texas. And now there's one in France..."

He paused for a moment, weighing up what Duo had just said.

"A Planeswalker who opened a portal to Hell. As in Tartarus, Niflheim, Jigoku, Gehenna, the big fire Down Below? Wonderful. Actually, a portal might be a better explanation for those two friends of ours who attacked me out there. I figured reality had started cracking, but I put it down to a curse which has recently been unleashed, something called the Ju-On. It takes ghosts and turns them into creatures of pure vengeance, and makes them a lot more dangerous in the process. I bumped into the ghost of Evan Rosier a few nights ago, you remember that maniac? He damn near tore me apart. At first I thought he might be one of those hunter ghosts, you know, a Hollow. But from what I've read of Hollows they phase between corporeal and ethereal existence, which means for the time it takes them to hit you, they're solid enough to be hit back. At least that's what I read, anyway. But Rosier was ethereal the whole time, and could still interact with the physical world. I have the ghost of Katie Bell to thank for pulling my arse out of that particular fire. I'm sure she'd have said hello if she knew you were coming."

--------------------
Character Map

user posted image

Duo Warrington
Posted: Mar 12 2011, 11:55 PM

Ministry Unspeakable

"To be completely honest, we know it's a portal, but we ain't totally sure where to; hell's just the theory I'm workin' with right now based on the surveillance and Stickling's report after. But I think it's a fair bet," Duo explained. Privately, he was convinced it was hell, mostly due to his instincts, but he knew that it was dangerous to confuse assumptions with facts.

His expression grew ever more grim as the story unfolded, eventually drawing a groan out of him. "Aww man, that's all we need," he muttered, sipping his drink again. He spent a few moments after Erastes finished talking mulling over the information before he replied.

"Rosier can't have been a Hollow, you're right there; Hollows are rarely humanoid, and never look exactly like a deceased person. Trust me on that one. That 'Ju-On'... sounds familiar, I'll need to get in touch with the office, tell them to look it up," he said, scratching his chin. "Katie Bell... so she was able to help you as well?"

Duo shook his head, more to his own thoughts than any outside stimulus. "If there's another Planeswalker in play, I really need to talk to Frost soon. He might be able to shed some light on this whole debacle."

--------------------
user posted image
Erastes Blake
Posted: Mar 13 2011, 12:52 AM

Vampire WIA Operative

"Frost's working infiltration at the moment. If he could afford to be away from the Brotherhood, he'd be here right now. But you know as well as I do that our departments aren't tolerating mistakes at the moment."

Erastes sat back and took another drink. If Duo could find out anything about the Ju-On curse, that would be useful. The Department of Mysteries might have a prophecy or two hidden away which pertained to the matter.

"So as things stand we have three known Planeswalkers active, those being the Brotherhood's leader, Jason Frost, and the new one in France. Call it a hunch, but I have a feeling there are going to be more turning up as this debacle continues. Maybe see if your people at the DoM have heard anything about a woman named Sakiko Kanazawa...Katie mentioned that name. If we start having new Planeswalkers appearing that pose a security risk - and I'm fairly sure that portals into hell qualify - then do you have any clue how we can deal with them? I don't think there's been time for Conor's office to release an official policy on this one."

--------------------
Character Map

user posted image

Duo Warrington
Posted: Mar 15 2011, 01:14 AM

Ministry Unspeakable

"Never a dull moment where he's concerned," Duo said dryly. "This whole thing is turning into one major clusterfuck of calamity."

He leaned back again with a thoughtful look on his face. "Sakiko Kanazawa... I know I've run across that name before, in some other case I was working on a while back... damned if I can remember where though. Means the info should be back at HQ though, so that's a plus."

"As for Planeswalkers policy..." he sighed, knocking back the last of his drink, "Conor ain't made one, although I'm not too surprised. Outstanding Ministry policy is actually 'kill on sight' for any Planeswalker, but that was one of those rules that got brought in under Artenion's leadership, back in 1906, so I think it's safe to ignore." Illymus Artenion, the Minister for Magic at the time, was well known as a psychopath, and had one of the shortest reigns on record, being assassinated only three weeks into his tenure. Despite that, he had managed to sign off on quite a few laws during the time, mostly repressive and borderline fascist in nature, so they were, for the most part, completely ignored.

--------------------
user posted image
Erastes Blake
Posted: Mar 15 2011, 09:45 AM

Vampire WIA Operative

Blake let out a frustrated sigh upon being told that the only legislation regarding Planeswalkers had come from one of the worst specimens ever elected to the office of Minister of Magic. Under Artenion's laws, Erastes would have been staked on sight when the Ministry found that he had been infected. Of course, things had come a long way since then.

"Well so far the only Planeswalker we know is on side is Jason, and quite frankly I consider him a ticking time bomb under the best circumstances. Given what the Brotherhood put his wife through, I'm amazed he didn't just try to slaughter them all himself...I guess he was clever enough to realise that he couldn't put down Noah Howerton in a straight fight."

There was a momentary pause as Erastes contemplated things.

"Sorry, you won't know who I'm talking about. Noah Howerton is the name of the Brotherhood of the Light's leader, or at least it's the alias that his followers know him by. I don't know how old he actually is, but it's looking like he's been around for centuries. I was with a team of volunteers Jason put together when they came up against him, and he fought off the lot of us without breaking a sweat. I guess Planeswalkers aren't so different from vampires in that respect...age only makes them stronger. And now there's this one in France. From what you said earlier I'm guessing we have no idea who he or she is, or of their current whereabouts. But if they're opening portals to hostile realms, then there needs to be some containment put in place. Maybe we could convince Conor to make the opening of portals a Taboo? At least that way we'd know instantly where and when it happens. Even if the Planeswalker in question is too much of an unknown quantity to confront, we'd still be able to enact cleanup as swiftly as possible."

--------------------
Character Map

user posted image

Duo Warrington
Posted: Mar 16 2011, 01:34 AM

Ministry Unspeakable

Duo groaned as he listened to the explanation of the trouble with the Brotherhood. "Ancient Planeswalker that can take on half a dozen or so trained fighters at once? Great. Just great." Sighing, he waved to the bartender and ordered them another round.

"We've got... some suspicions on the French front. Nothing I wanna say for sure right now though, still need to check out the details," he told the vampire. Duo was still trying to piece together reports about the involvement of the Hogwarts student seen at the time, another reason he needed to talk to Jason or, at least, one of his DA friends. "That taboo idea though? Just crazy enough to work. Whether Conor'll go for it or not though..." he trailed off, shrugging. Conor might only have had the job of Minister for a few months, but Duo had long since given up trying to second guess him.

--------------------
user posted image
Erastes Blake
Posted: Mar 16 2011, 09:28 AM

Vampire WIA Operative

"Like I say, Jason's convinced he can bring that organisation down from the inside. Either it'll work or he'll just get himself killed, but knowing Jason he might just drag enough of them down with him to make finishing the job a lot easier. Whatever the case, we're still keeping tabs on their movements as best as we can, and running counter-insurgency on their operations where possible. To be honest, the biggest nightmare for me in all of that is public relations. On the surface these guys are just another Muggle religous sect, and what this really boils down to is two groups striking at each other with terrorist tactics. I know that we're acting in self-defence on this one, but if this little shadow war comes to light, the Brotherhood could spin it that they are the victims. Since the Statute was abolished, these couple of months have become critical. The Muggle world needs to get into the idea that wizards are a force for good, and if some of the atrocities we've committed get out, there's going to be a new Inquisition on our hands. Obviously, I'm doing what I can to keep this whole thing secret and make sure there's no evidence to be found."

Erastes finished his drink as the next round arrived, and immediately began on the second glass of blood. Animal blood wasn't nearly as satisfying as human, but it was helping. A good deal of the pain he had dealt himself with that lightning spell seemed to have abated, though he wouldn't be back to full strength for a while yet.

"As for the events in France, that's probably going to have to be your call. I'm willing to help out as and when I can, investigate any leads that you may have, but I'm mostly stuck on this side of the Atlantic until the Brotherhood case blows over. But about the taboo idea, we really don't have anything to lose by suggesting it to the Minister. Hell, if he doesn't like it I might see if Andrew Frost is willing to put one in place off-the-books. Planeswalkers from what I've seen of them are powerful, dangerous and not very controllable. I don't like that situation, and if we can do anything at all to monitor their activities then I'd like to see those measures put in place."

--------------------
Character Map

user posted image

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (5) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2407 seconds | Archive
~
~Link to Us~
~
~Image Hosted by ImageShack.us~
~
~Other Sites Not Harry Potter~
~
~~
~