Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to PSFX. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

"Space Sig 3" by Joe
Joe
Posted: Aug 2 2005, 09:57 PM

Datameister
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Created for a photoshopforums.com contest. That gibberish on the left is a custom font I made.

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image

--------------------
user posted image
"You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host..." --Nehemiah 9:6

Visit my deviantArt gallery!
Akira san
Posted: Aug 2 2005, 11:28 PM

Nihongo wo hanashimasu ka.

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

You made that font? Wow. ohmy.gif

Where did you get that picture in your sig? (a little off topic unsure.gif )

--------------------
Joe
Posted: Aug 3 2005, 05:42 AM

Datameister
Group Icon

Yup, that font was designed by moi in a free trial version of a font creator program. I think the program was called Font Creator. ohmy.gif I designed the alphabet before that, as part of a conlang (constructed language) project.

Where did you get that picture in your sig?

I made it from scratch, all in Photoshop. No photos or renders involved. (Okay, I used a picture of a man with his hands behind his back for painting reference. But the photo was never in my computer.) This is "Space Sig 2"; I thought I'd use it rather than post it in the gallery.

--------------------
user posted image
"You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host..." --Nehemiah 9:6

Akira san
Posted: Aug 3 2005, 03:17 PM

Nihongo wo hanashimasu ka.

Member No.: 3

I made it from scratch, all in Photoshop. No photos or renders involved. (Okay, I used a picture of a man with his hands behind his back for painting reference. But the photo was never in my computer.) This is "Space Sig 2"; I thought I'd use it rather than post it in the gallery.

Amazing. You made the stars and everything? ohmy.gif

--------------------
Joe
Posted: Aug 3 2005, 11:19 PM

Datameister
Group Icon

Yes. I have my own technique for creating starfields. wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image

Eamon
Posted: Aug 4 2005, 06:10 PM

Member No.: 18

Time for a star field Tutorial... cool.gif Please

--------------------
user posted image
Joe
Posted: Aug 4 2005, 11:53 PM

Datameister
Group Icon

Perhaps you are right...perhaps it is time to divulge my secrets to the world... ninja.gif

tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image

archangel
Posted: Oct 9 2005, 02:05 PM

Member No.: 32

that sounds realy cool i wouls like to know how to do that.
Joe
Posted: Oct 10 2005, 02:41 AM

Datameister
Group Icon

All right, all right. By popular demand, here is the basis of my starfeild technique.

1. Create the starfield like Greg Martin does. Don't follow his tutorial too rigidly; you want this to be unique. But that will give you the start of your starfield. Don't do all the clone-stamping and erasing yet.

2. Press ctrl-A to select the whole canvas. Copy the contents and paste them onto a new alpha channel. Ctrl-click the channel's thumbnail; you should see marching-ants selections form around the brighter stars. Now go Select>Modify>Expand. Set the value to 1px and hit OK. Press D, then alt-backspace, then ctrl-D. You should see rather large whitish blotches instead of stars. Now go Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur and set a value of about 3.3px. That value will vary, depending on the look you want.

3. Create a new black layer just above or below the other star layer, and set its blending mode to Linear Dodge or Screen. (Make sure you create a layer, not a channel.) Go back to the Channels palette and ctrl-click your star channel. Go back to the new layer. Press D, then X, then alt-backspace. Your stars should take on a glowy quality.

4. Use Levels, Hue and Saturation, and a black brush to get the look you want. I often set my stars to a faintly blue color, dim the glow layer a little, and use the black brush to darken some stars. At this point, you can do all the erasing and rubber-stamping in Greg Martin's tutorial.

So what's the trick? All the alpha channel business achieves a simple goal: it adds a faint glow to each star. That's all.

--------------------
user posted image

Dread Pirate Roberts
Posted: May 15 2006, 09:24 PM

Member No.: 22

That Cross seems to be your personal signature. It's shown up in a lot of your work. It's simple, but cool.

--------------------
Don't believe everything you think
Gallo Pinto
Posted: May 23 2006, 06:41 AM

Member No.: 58

sorry guys. I don't mean to totally take over the forum by responding to every single topic but...

I can't seem to find greg martin's method. his work on his website, though, is quite impressive.

--------------------
I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft. We have constructed pyramids in honor of our escaping.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Skin Etavarium designed by Zeus00 of the IF Skin Zone.