You may need to be a little familiar with photoshop before you do this, so, just a warning here.
1) Create a new image with the 640 by 480 template. (File>new)
2) Press D to reset the default colors and press alt+backspace to fill the layer with black.
3) Go to Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Color Balance
4) Use these settings. (only highlights) (make sure preserve luminosity is checked)
5) Click the background layer and click the "make new layer" button as shown here :
6) Set your brush color to white and your brush type to type of brush underneath the first ones:
7) Alternate between brush sizes using the [ and ] key. Try using a big brush though.
8) Draw a dot in the center of your picture.
You should now have something like this (make sure your layer palette is similar to mine shown in the picture:
9)Take out your smudge tool and use these settings.
10)Start from here:
11)Now start dragging to the left and vice versa for the other side.
12)Now Right click any layer and click "Flatten Image"
13)To add this effect to a picture, select the background layer and press control+a
14)Now press control +C and use control+v to paste it into another image.
TIP: Press control+T to transform the circle into more of an ellipse shape.
15)Once it is pasted, change the blending mode of the clash to screen.
Here is something I made:
P.S. Joe, what do you think of my lightsaber?
. I'll try to make a tutorial of it if its that good. I know theres no flicker in it...