Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Schoenstatt Young Men - USA. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Music. Likes/ Dislikes/ Complaints, Musical groups/ Musical artists
slater
  Posted: 5 Oct 2007, 7:15 PM

Not a newb

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

Post what music you like, don't like, and have "complaints" about, or just talk about music.

What I Like: A ton of Christian rock/ hip-hop. Red, TobyMac, Skillet, KJ-52, Group 1 Crew, Flyleaf, Avalon (not rock, but w/e), P.O.D, Kids in the Way, Switchfoot, Newsboys, etc. Other music I like is Blake Lewis, Daughtry, Maroon 5, Weird Al, and some others I can't think of right now. ;)

What I Don't Like: Terribly immoral songs (it's the truth ;) ), or just not-so-terribly immoral songs, but with some bad stuff, ya know. I also don't like songs that "punk raps" basically the whole time, or most of the secular hip-hop with high-voiced african-american males.

My complaints about music: It gets me really annoyed when there is a song that has a great tune and beat (example: "Wake Up Call" by Maroon 5) and they add all this crud and swearing that they don't need. I would LOVE so many more songs and bands and artists if they didn't add that stuff.

There. I spewed my musical taste everywhere. How 'bout you?

--------------------
user posted image

Check out Project:Informed. Share your ideas, defend your beliefs, access resources, meet people from around the world, write articles, stay updated, and have fun.
slugger
Posted: 5 Oct 2007, 7:55 PM

Baseball Man

Member No.: 42

WHAT I LIKE: I basically like christian rock. Red, hawk nelson, flyleaf, super chick, and other bands i cant think of at the moment...

WHAT I DONT LIKE: rap, hip hop, blues, jazz, and some country. ;)

MY COMPLAINTS ABOUT MUSIC: Its a lot like what you said slater. :D

--------------------
I play baseball for God, and the MTA!
FrMark
Posted: 7 Oct 2007, 12:35 PM

Padre

Member No.: 12

Welcome on board Slater and Slugger...

The priest on the forum likes lots of
music others find annoying (from musicals,
old rock and country music that most
have forgotten) and some newer stuff.

Dislike music that I can't understand or
objectional content.

Main complaint is that people don't want to
listen to random tunes being sung... there
is a song for almost every situation is life.
Yet another advantage to the forum that is
soundless, you don't have to hear me sing!

--------------------
For you Mary... anything!
stratman
Posted: 7 Oct 2007, 1:16 PM

Artistic Tunist

Member No.: 19

Yeah, that would be a nice feature to this forum if we didn't like hearing you sing. But that's not the case! :D

What I Like: I like any music but I have a special respect for the musicians who stick to traditional methods and don't take any electronic shortcuts. I have gotten really familiar with Switchfoot and Relient K music. I'm sure there's alot of music out there that I would like better if I ever found it. But for now, those are my two favorite bands. I'm starting to like classical music more as well. A capella is awesome. Choral music is probably the kind of music I enjoy performing the most.

What I Don't Like: Screeching metalists and out-of-tune guitars.

My complaints about music: I hate how the are so many untalented musicians on the radio and elsewhere (who more or less bought their airplay), while there are so many great, amazing, incredible, breathtaking musicians all over the country who have no recognition. The truth is, the guys who know how to get their music to us are the music business saavy, money thirsty guys who spend more time promoting themselves than practicing, writing, and improving. That annoys me the most.

-Flip

--------------------
Que los que me vean te vean.
MTA-man
Posted: 9 Oct 2007, 7:47 AM

Doctor Crane

Member No.: 27

QUOTE (FrMark @ 7th October 2007 - 12:35)
Welcome on board Slater and Slugger...

The priest on the forum likes lots of
music others find annoying (from musicals,
old rock and country music that most
have forgotten) and some newer stuff.

Dislike music that I can't understand or
objectional content.

Main complaint is that people don't want to
listen to random tunes being sung... there
is a song for almost every situation is life.
Yet another advantage to the forum that is
soundless, you don't have to hear me sing!

yeah Father, "I like both kinds, country and western." :D

--------------------
Look! Up in the sky! Its a bird, its a plane, its MTA-man!!!!!
user posted image
architectofschoenstatt
Posted: 16 Oct 2007, 1:40 PM

Cool Jedi

Member No.: 21

My favorite music is Oldies/Folk rock and the like. The bands that I like are: The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Moody Blues. Other bands that I just enjoy are: The Beach Boys (Harmonies are AWEsome), Turtles, Mommas and the Pappas.

In General I like good melodic songs with interesting riffs and bass lines.

I write my own songs, which if you listen to them you can tell what I like.

I dislike: Rap, Hip hop, Heavy Metal.
specifically Loud drums with little musicallity otherwise.

--------------------
Mother Mary, take my hand.
Hubly
Posted: 19 Oct 2007, 9:45 AM

Farm Boy

Member No.: 23

What I Like: I have a very wide variety of music that I like... but I think my favorite genre has to be Country... as in Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney, Chris Cagle, Josh Gracin, Alabama ect... (any modern country, and some classics such as John Denver Johnny Cash ect...) I also am a big fan of some Rock bands Like Daughtry, Maroon 5, Nickelback, Elliot Yamin, I like Jordin Sparks new song, and Timberland/One Republics New song.... I like most chrisitan stuff if it has a good tune and beat! like TobyMac, Stellar Kart, ect... So yea pretty much Alot of stuff...

--------------------
If Its Cold Outside...Show The World The Warmth Of Your Smile
Hubly
Posted: 19 Oct 2007, 9:51 AM

Farm Boy

Member No.: 23

Didn't mean to post that early... I'll just continue here...

What I Don't Like: Not a big fan of rap unless its chrisitan it seems, I only like a few rock/rap songs on the radio.... Not a big fan of heavy heavy metal, unless its a solo of course! but yea thats kinda what i don't like....

My Complaints about Music: Lets see, I hate it when you hear the introduction to the song and you think "wow this sounds like a great song" and then you hear the melody and it like ruins the song, I also hate it when you hear the beginning and you think a guy is going to start singing and then a girl does... Vice-versa....

--------------------
If Its Cold Outside...Show The World The Warmth Of Your Smile
minnesota_leader_guy
Posted: 23 Oct 2007, 5:44 PM

The Music Freak

Member No.: 17

Well......as some of you know my musical tastes are broad and varied.

Pretty much all of the bands I listen to are independent label bands (or "indie" as they are referred to in the music business). A couple weeks ago I went to the local record store Cheapo Discs and got some CD's as a birthday present from my parents. Since this is primarily all that I have listened to in the past couple weeks I will describe for you what the different kinds of music I got are. The first CD was Blood On The Tracks by Bob Dylan. A great album overall, written and recorded in Minnesota (always an advantage to that, right Father??). It is primarily folky/acoustic blues. The next is Una Volta by DeVotchka. An interesting album, The music is a fusion of american rock and gypsy/middle european folk music. Very beautiful songs. The third CD is Advice from the Happy Hippopotamus by the band Cloud Cult. Don't let the name of the album throw you off these aren't kids songs. Cloud Cult is an experimental rock band from the minnesota area, the music ranges from harder rock to really psychedelic, dreamy songs. The band is interesting in the fact that it not only has traditional rock intsruments, but also has a cello player and a violin player. and during performances two artists paint in the background. The last is Skittish/Rockity Roll by Mike Doughty. These are all pretty much acoustic guitar songs, with some organ and keyboard added in. The lyrics are what are really cool about these songs. They are all beat poet like-mish mashes of rhyming words that make sense sometimes but not always. Mike Doughty's approach to songwriting is in making the song sound good, and not so much in making it make sense. It is nice to hear the words used as instruments in and of themselves, using stresses and such to imitate percussion instruments. Aside from those artists, my musical tastes run from: 1920's folk songs to 1960's psychedelic rock, 80's synth-pop to post-modern fusion jazz. Pretty much any and every kind of music I like.

Dislikes: I am known for very much disliking the christian music scene, try the CATHOLIC music scene, you will never want to go back. (ask me about some catholic artists, I can tell you some) I also dislike country alot. For some reason, I have never liked it. Most rap I don't like either.

Complaints: I am going to steal your complaint Phil. I don't like how untalented musicians get alot of airplay and fame. Musicians who don't write their own songs. (this pretty much means every single pop singer ever in the history of pop music) I will also steal one of father's and say that when a song makes NO sense whatsoever, for example pretty much every popular rap song on the radio now has a catchphrase that makes no sense, yet everyone insists on repeating it because it sounds marginally cool. I don't get that.
FrMark
Posted: 26 Oct 2007, 3:50 PM

Padre

Member No.: 12

Yes, Joe...
Long live Bob Dylan...
(the Minnesotan in me says!)
which brings up the rich irony that such
an avid anti-establishment man as Dylan
would be doing the new Escalade
commercials for Cadillac.

"How many roads must an artist walk down,
before he sells his soul to pay his bills?"

--------------------
For you Mary... anything!
minnesota_leader_guy
Posted: 28 Oct 2007, 3:29 PM

The Music Freak

The answer my friend, is blowing out the tailpipe of a brand new 2007 Cadillac Escalade with 400 horsepowr v8 engine, anti-lock brakes, and a built in stereo surround sound system. haha.
architectofschoenstatt
Posted: 30 Oct 2007, 1:59 PM

Cool Jedi

Good one.

I've never liked Bob Dylan.

--------------------
minnesota_leader_guy
Posted: 1 Nov 2007, 5:13 PM

The Music Freak

Thats too bad nate,
you're missing out.
architectofschoenstatt
Posted: 7 Nov 2007, 1:50 PM

Cool Jedi

Oh come on, that HARMONICA?

--------------------
slater
Posted: 8 Nov 2007, 4:55 PM

Not a newb

You've got a good taste of music, Hubly!

--------------------
user posted image

Check out Project:Informed. Share your ideas, defend your beliefs, access resources, meet people from around the world, write articles, stay updated, and have fun.
Goober
Posted: 8 Nov 2007, 5:07 PM

Not a newb

Member No.: 40

WHAT I LIKE: Mainly rock... RED, skillet, Daughtry, falling up, hawk nelson, kids in the way, group one crew, TobyMac, a little switchfoot, and I could go on and on. :D

WHAT I DISLIKE: Rap, heavy-metal-screamo, and country.

COMPLAINTS: I hate it when they ruin a song with the smallest cuss-word.

--------------------
user posted image
Posted: 14 Nov 2007, 1:48 PM

Unregistered

I hate it when they ruin a s ong with the largest cuss word. ;)
architectofschoenstatt
Posted: 14 Nov 2007, 1:52 PM

Cool Jedi

I didn't log in......oops.^^^^^ :o

--------------------
slater
Posted: 16 Nov 2007, 9:10 PM

Not a newb

Yeah, the large ones, too. ::)

--------------------
user posted image

architectofschoenstatt
Posted: 27 Nov 2007, 12:39 PM

Cool Jedi

I found this CD in our house that is a mix of like 3 doors down, the Eagles, Rascall Flatts (or howver you spell it), Nickelback and a bunch of Country. It's pretty good.

--------------------
« Next Oldest | Big Game | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3218 seconds | Archive