zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to ScaleModelsMalaysia. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
ATTENTION
Beginning September 2012, there are new rules being implemented on new registration accounts to curb the present problems we have with spammers. Please sign-in or register before accessing the complete forum.
For newly registered members, you are require to introduce yourself in the 'Introduction' thread. Once that is done, you will be promoted to 'Newbie' status and after an additional 4# posts, you will have full access to SMM forum.
Please take note of this new ruling. New ruling is also subjected to change over time.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Cal-lab Lightning Arrestors
Mr. Engineer
Posted: Apr 28 2011, 09:00 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 222

somac just called me this evening and asked me a few questions about the Cal-Lab devices he had.

First, let me explain a bit about cal-Lab devices and so, this is going to be quite long winded....

Cal-Lab Devices are very different from the normal lightning arrestors. A normal lightning arrestor diverts the strike to the ground whereas Cal-Lab isolates your equipment from the strike to prevent further damage. In both cases, earthing is very important, more so on a Cal-Lab which uses your Home's earthing electrical system.

Since every genuine Cal-Lab device has a warranty of some kind, it is best not to open it up and go to Pasar road for replacement components although in theory, you can. But then, Cal-Lab would know and this would void your warranty and whatever claims from your insurance, etc. I mentioned genuine because a few years ago, Cal-Labs were copied and was very common in Pasar Road and electrical shops.

When your Cal-Lab device fails all the time, perhaps it is good to check on your electrical Earthing. If it plugs to your telephone line, then it is also time to check on that earthing too since both Earthing are different. When a strike/surge is extreme, a Cal-Lab device will fail and don't worry, it is meant to do that. Think of it as your equipment's bodyguard.

Lastly, there is a lot of different versions of Cal-Lab so make sure you get the correct one. Eg There is a version for Astro, Streamyx and also, phones. A wrong one usually means dropped connection from your Streamyx. It is very sensitive to voltage changes too. For a phone version, I usually use those Cal-Lab replaceable cube modules as this works great when I was in the Phone Industry.

Cal-Lab is located in Centrepoint, a few KM from ICW and they can be reached at:

Address:
S2 Second Floor, Centrepoint, Bandar Utama, 47800 PJ, Selangor, Malaysia.
Phone-FAX: +603 77268680
Front-desk: +6012 7038225

Reseller Assistance: +6012 7738225

Technical Assistance : +6012 7718225

Email : callabkl@callab.com.my / callabkl@gmail.com

somac
Posted: Apr 30 2011, 12:29 AM

Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Group Icon

Group: SFTPMS
Member No.: 242

Thanks Mr E

Very thorough explanation as usual & very helpful.
Have been using Cal-Lab for a while. Good to know their tech cente location is nearby.

smile.gif

f-4dablemodels
Posted: May 4 2011, 10:09 AM

Petaling Jaya
Group Icon

Group: SFTPMS
Member No.: 2

Back when I was working for the customer service division of a Japanese electrical appliance company, Cal-Lab isolators were pretty much the default surge isolator.

Our service centre also provided the service of collecting and replacing 'expended' isolators and recycling them through Cal-Lab for repair & rework.

Definitely one of the better products of its type.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | General Discussions | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0788 seconds | Archive