Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Sims Contest. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Photobucket

Welcome & Information
Photobucket Photobucket

Forums: Different Types & Popularity?, Debates about Forums & content
Tabatha
  Posted: Sep 14 2009, 08:33 AM

Hooked on Sims

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

So this is a discussion or debate on forums

For Discussion:
  • What makes a forum great? (popular)
  • What content do people in the simming community enjoy?
  • What features should a community have? or which features are most desired in a community (emotes, colors, skins, money, customization, etc.)
  • Should there be a HUGE array of things to do? or keep it simple?
  • Do people really even have any more interest in simming communities?
  • Advertising a forum - what is the best way to get a forum out there, and what erks people in the community about advertising?

For Debate:
  • Things that can & do go wrong - are there ways to fix things?
  • People - interacting with others at a forum. Difficult vs. Easy
  • VIP Forums - Stupid vs. Good
  • Colors of a Forum - What erks people about forum layouts?
  • How important are Emotes?
  • Basically anything debatable about forums

Basically I'm just wondering really - Honestly I think this is the place to talk about this because people spend a great deal of there time on forums, it becomes a second home in a way, and in order to discuss this honestly I thought this would be a good place to do it.

To everyone: "What makes a forum a great place to be?"

and honestly, I am looking into possible opening a forum (maybe not for sims but definitely for something... and maybe it will turn out to be sims related) basically I just need some thoughts on what REALLY works for a forum and what can KILL a forum.

I know there are some really great & intelligent people here with good and bad thoughts about this, so open up and share *yay*!

--------------------
vshh
Posted: Sep 15 2009, 05:30 PM

Have No Life

Member No.: 5,834

For Discussion:
  • Just one where people are friendly, and people are active and contributive and polite I guess. A fun forum. One that welcomes and doesn't judge new members, and has beginner content for new members to read, even pages about the unwritten rules are really useful.
  • I personally love c/c sites like PPP, and Femme Fatale, and ClosetFusion, and way more, and Living Magazine too and I love it when the amazing creators update on flickr or on the forum.
  • Emotes: As many as possible. LMAO! But I like specific sets of them too.
    Colors: Anything easy on the eye, and not too girly or too manly.
    Money: Yeh! It can work I guess, on SCF it was a tiny bit pointless though.
    Customization: Avatars/Signatures are a must. : P Other customization options are awesome too.
  • I think so. Simmuse is reasonably active, though the community about sim ediiting doesn't seem as large as when before I joined.
  • No idea.

For Debate:
  • Preventing spammers, personal attacks, racism etc, can all be done with rule and active admin(s), mod(s).
  • People. No idea. Every forum has a different feel.
  • Stupid, personally.
  • No neon lmao and light colors like previously mentioned.
  • They're the life of the party. ^ _^ lmao
  • The freedom to debate respectfully should be there imo, and to question/suggest/discuss things about the forum.

Tabatha, if you are still thinking of making a forum, I will gladly join it.

--------------------
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image
%mh%-20%mh%
Tabatha
Posted: Sep 16 2009, 08:50 AM

Hooked on Sims

I loved the way you layed out your post & you had some very interesting, helpful points to add. I have to say I did find myself agreeing with everything you said - because I myself feel the same way.

Also if I do get a forum going I will definitely let everyone know smile.gif

--------------------
vintagepksweetie
Posted: Sep 16 2009, 11:01 PM

Obsessive Compulsive Forum Organizer

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 1,174

For Discussion:
What makes a forum great? (popular)
- Fun activities or things going on in the forum. Many updates with new things to read/play/get involved in.

What content do people in the simming community enjoy?
- I think people enjoy their CC most of all, I know I do. I enjoy the magazines if they are relevant. The fashion magazines never really interested my that much because besides showing off talent, they didn't do much else. Magazines that introduce you to new sites/creators/editors, or teach you stuff (like living magazine) about how to play and enjoy the game are fun.

What features should a community have? or which features are most desired in a community (emotes, colors, skins, money, customization, etc.)
- I think that PM is nice. I've been to forums where there aren't PM and it's kind of irritating. I love lots of emoties to choose from, and I think money is a good idea as long as there is good and reasonable incentive to earn and spend the money.

Should there be a HUGE array of things to do? or keep it simple?
- I think that really depends on the type of community you want to have and how active you'd like it to be. I think the more things going on, the more active and exciting the forum would be, and the more of a draw to new members it will be to join and it will keep existing members coming back to see what's going on.

Do people really even have any more interest in simming communities?
- I know I do, but I think with the sims 3 people are unsure of how to stay in their old sims communities. If that makes sense.

Advertising a forum - what is the best way to get a forum out there, and what erks people in the community about advertising?
- I think putting things in sim magazines (if you're doing a sim forum) and flickr would be a good way. I know some forums don't like you to advertise about the happenings of other forums on THEIR forum, but I think that's really... immature. >_>

For Debate:
Things that can & do go wrong - are there ways to fix things?
- I think allowing "cliques" to form really can ruin a forum. Or having the peace over-run by rude, entitled members who think they own certain parts of the forum.

People - interacting with others at a forum. Difficult vs. Easy
- I think if the organization of the forum is simple interaction is easy. But I've been to some forums where replying to anything was a total hassle and understanding the organization of posts was even worse.

VIP Forums - Stupid vs. Good
- Not stupid, but bad as this encourages clique-iness

Colors of a Forum - What erks people about forum layouts?
- LIGHT COLORS! Omg, and boxes all over the place and lots of words to look at and just. It makes going into a forum a pain. Good = High contrast and a clean organized look.

How important are Emotes?
- very important! _inlove__by_GibbyGibson.gif

Basically anything debatable about forums
- Some forums are weird about new members by either ignoring them or pushing them out of activities and I think that is awful.

--------------------
Hosting/Hosted
⌠F A N T A S Y⌡
cropped.

Battle Royale
OTS: Cycle 2 - A Very Sexy Life ~ OTS: Cycle 1 - New York Fashion Week

Competing In...
VS: Mistletoe

user posted image

~ FLICKR ~
%mh%1799%mh%
Tabatha
Posted: Sep 17 2009, 05:21 AM

Hooked on Sims

V your post is very helpful, well organized and your thoughts were very well spoken.

So right now I'm really learning a lot of stuff by reading this post.

And I truly appreciate all the information, which really so far is corresponding with everyone so far - not too many contrasting opinions on this, and it's good to see really.

I have to agree 100% on the cliqueness mentality, but what are good ways to really ensure that this type of behavior doesn't grow, ya know? It's a thin line between having too much control and not enough to where everyone runs wild - lol.

Course over the years I have learned a few things from being involved in this community as well - so many things in fact. It's just so refreshing to know that you can learn something new everyday smile.gif

--------------------
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0750 seconds | Archive
Affliates